Phuket is a Perfect Fishing Destination
Phuket is one of the top destinations in the world for all types of water sport. The seas around the island are a great choice for anyone who enjoys fishing. The Andaman Sea is teeming with marine life, and it is a particularly good choice for those who want some big game fishing. Land lovers will find plenty of options for pier and dock fishing around the island. Those who are more adventurous may wish to charter a boat or go on an organized fishing trip in deep water. The nicest thing about going fishing in Phuket is that people are almost guaranteed a respectable catch. This is what makes the location such a perfect fishing destination.
What to Fish in Phuket
The type of fish that people are likely to catch will depend on the time of year. Some of the most common species include:
- Marlin are usually in abundance between October and April. The Similan Islands are the best destination for those who hope to catch the larger specimens.
- Sailfish can be caught all year round. Koh Rok is usually teeming with this type of large fish.
- Yellow fin tuna are to be found in abundance for most of the year with the exception of May and June.
- __ Giant Trevally__ can be caught all year round.
- King Mackerel are most likely to be caught between October and January, but are in fairly good supply the rest of the year as well.
- Dolphin fish can be caught all year round. The Similan Islands is a good choice for those looking for this type of fish.
- The best time for catching __Wahoo_ is between August and January.
Where to Go Fishing on Phuket
There are a number of options for people who want to fish on or around Phuket including:
- Mai Khao is a 9km beach on the north west of the island near the airport. This is a good option for those who want to get away from the crowds and concentrate on a bit of fishing.
- Sarasin Bridge connects the island of Phuket with the mainland. It is 600 meters long and provides plenty of opportunities for fishing.
Those people who would like to enjoy a bit of freshwater fishing in Phuket can try out:
- Sawai Lake is a fishing park that charges a 1,000 THB admission fee (200 THB for Thai) – this includes a rod and bait. The lake offers an abundance of fish including; Mekong catfish, Pacu, giant Siamese Carp, and Redtail catfish.
- Barramundi pond is close to Phuket town and is a good option for anyone looking for some freshwater fishing. There is a restaurant nearby where people can have their catch cooked for them.
Where to Go Fishing Around Phuket
The best fishing in Phuket is to be found away from the main island in places such as:
- Racha Noi is a good option for anyone hoping to land an impressively huge specimen. The water here is about 150 meters deep and beneath the waves are Marlin, Wahoo, and giant tuna.
- The Similan Islands is the best destination for people who wish to enjoy a unique fishing experience. This area is located about 84 km northwest of Phuket, but it is possible to go fishing here as part of a day trip.
- Koh Rok is nearer to Koh Lanta than to Phuket, but it is possible to go on a fishing day trip here. This is the number one destination in the world for people who want to catch sailfish.
Fishing Trips in Phuket
Those who wish to go on a fishing trip in Phuket will have a number of options including:
- A chartered boat for one day costs about 12,000 THB. Prices can vary greatly so it is always worth getting a number of quotes. The good thing about chartering about is that the customer will have a lot more say in where to go and how long to spend there.
- A shared charter is where a number of people share the cost of chartering a boat for the fishing trip. If people are sharing a charter it is important that they agree on an itinerary beforehand to avoid disagreements.
- Organized tripping tours follow a set itinerary.
- It is possible to go on half day, full day, and multi day excursions.
When to Go Fishing in Phuket
It is possible to go fishing in Phuket all year round. The seas can get quite rough between July and October. Those people who have a weak stomach might want to avoid climbing into a boat at this time of year, but they may be missing the opportunity to catch some of the biggest specimens.
Catch and Release in Phuket
There are some impressive specimens of fish to be found in the seas around Phuket. In order to preserve this marine life most reputable fishing tour operators now encourage customers to catch and release. This means that people release their catch unharmed after they have examined it and possibly had their photo taking with it. This insures that game fishing continues to be a sustainable activity.