Khao Pra Bang Khram is a 170 square acre wildlife sanctuary in Krabi Province in Southern Thailand, that is one of the most popular destinations in Thailand for bird watchers.
Bird Watching at Khao Pra Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
Khao Pra Bahng Khram is part of Khao Nor Chu Chi which is richest recorded lowland evergreen forest bird environments in the country. The types of birds that can be seen inside this sanctuary include:
- Black Hornbill
- Rufus-colored Kingfisher
- Gurney’s Pitta
- Wallace’s Hawk Eagle
- Blue banded kingfisher
- Plain pouched hornbill
Nature Trial at Khao Pra Bang Khram
Khao Pra Bang not only attracts birdwatchers but also anyone who enjoys spending time outdoors. There is a 1.7 mile (2.7 km) nature trial that passes though some peaceful lowland forest. This nature trail is called Thung Tieo Forest in Thai, but it is also named after an English activist called Tina Jollife – a conservation activist who worked hard to protect this area. One of the highlights of the sanctuary is an emerald pool (Sa Morakot) at the centre of the park – the color of the water actually changes depending on the temperature and time of day. Within the pool is crystal clear spring water, but it is not suitable for drinking because it has a high calcium carbonate content. There are also three hot springs nearby.
Staying Overnight at Khao Pra Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
Visitors are allowed to stay overnight at Khao Pra Bang Kram, but they need to supply their own tent. There is no other accommodation available inside the wildlife sanctuary. Most foreign visitors to Khao Pra Bang will be staying elsewhere in Krabi Province or in places like Phuket.
Things to Do at Khao Pra Bang Khram
Visitors to Khao Pra Bang Khram can:
- The main attraction at Khao Pra Bang Khram is bird watching. Even novice twitchers can snap pictures of birds that experienced bird watchers have waited decades to see.
- It is possible to go swimming in the emerald pool at the centre of the park. It is about 1.2 meters deep – the water has a strange texture (some say that it feels thick) because of its high calcium carbonate content.
- It is possible to walk the nature trial and this only takes about an hour.
- Going camping in Khao Pra Bang Khram can be great fun for those who are feeling adventurous. This also provides the opportunity to observe the night wildlife.
- Visit the nearby hot springs.
How to Get to Khao Pra Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
Khao Pra Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary can be found in Ban Bang Tiao. This is in Krabi province and is 18km (11 miles) from Amphoe Khlong Thom. It is possible to visit here as a daytrip from Phuket and it is roughly a two and a half hour drive (roughly 200 km). It is 70km from Krabi Town.
Entry Fee for Khao Pra Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
It currently costs 20 THB to enter Khao Pra Bang Khram (as of mid 2012). Those who are traveling to the area as part of a tour will usually have the admission fee included.