Thai Food in Phuket
One of the great things about visiting Thailand is the opportunity to sample authentic local food. The fact that people from all the country have set up home in Phuket means that all the different varieties of local cuisine can be enjoyed on the island. Most western countries now have plenty of restaurants that claim to offer Thai food, but these tend to be a poor imitation of the real thing. Not only can visitors to Phuket get the chance to enjoy these delicious dishes, but they can also learn how to make them. In fact Thai cooking classes have become one of the most popular activities among visitors to the island.
Good Reasons to Learn Thai Cooking in Phuket
There are plenty of good reasons for why people should learn to cook Thai food during their trip to Phuket including:
- It will mean that they can continue to enjoy delicious Thai cuisine once they go home.
- They will be able to impress family and friends with their new cooking skills.
- Attending these classes gives participants the opportunity to sample many Thai dishes.
- It will increase people’s understanding of the local culture.
- It is a great opportunity to socialize and meet new people.
- These classes tend to be interesting and fun.
- Some people are perfectly happy to spend their whole holiday just relaxing but attending a Thai cooking class can actually be something that benefits the individual for the rest of their life.
- There are some people who enjoy Thai cooking so much that they actually manage to turn it into a career when they return to their home country.
Phuket is a Great Place to Learn Thai Cooking
Phuket is one of the top destinations in Thailand for anyone who wants to learn about this type of cuisine. The advantages of taking such classes in Phuket include:
- There are many classes to choose from in Phuket. There is such a high demand for quality cooking instruction from tourists that it has encouraged many schools to open and offer this service.
- Phuket is home to cooks from all over Thailand. This means that it is possible to learn about all the different styles of Thai cooking from people who really know what they are talking about.
- The instructors at these schools tend to be able to speak English at a high level. This is not always the case at cookery schools elsewhere in Thailand.
- There is a huge variety of courses available in Phuket. This includes instruction for the complete beginner as well as those who already have some knowledge of Thai cooking.
- The fact that there is so much competition among the different cooking schools on the island means that they have to work hard to attract customers. This usually means that the instructors are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that students have a good experience.
- Cooking classes are available in Phuket all year round.
Phuket Cooking Schools
There are many cooking schools in Phuket to choose from and there are new ones opening all the time. The most popular at the moment include:
Pat’s Home is run by Bangkokonian Pat Tienthong. She previously worked as a chef in the US and so has excellent English. It is possible to attend classes are part of a group or arrange private lessons. As well as teaching Thai cooking there are also classes on traditional fruit carving. Those who really want to devote themselves to learning Thai cooking can even stay in Pat’s guest house. It is possible to attend classes at her home in Phuket Town or at her guest house high in the island hills.
Pum Thai Restaurant and Cooking School
Pum Thai Restaurant and Cooking School is located near Patong Beach. There are two classes per day (11:00 or 16:00) and there are many options to choose from. Those who wish to learn about healthy eating might want to try the six hour class where participants will learn things like the benefits of specific Thai herbs. There are also brief classes where learners concentrate on mastering just one dish. Pum also offers cookery classes on Phi Phi Island.
Phuket Thai Cookery School
Phuket Thai Cookery School offers comprehensive instruction from experienced Thai chefs. The school is located on a private beach on Sirey Island. All classes are taught in English and students are encouraged to have fun. As well as giving students instructions on many dishes there are also lessons on shopping at a Thai market and fruit carving. The school can arrange free transportation from most parts of the island.
Kata Thai Cooking Class
Kata Thai Cooking Class can be found on Ket Kwan Road in Karon. There are classes from Monday to Saturday and each day the focus will be on different dishes. This means that participants can choose the course for the dishes they most want to learn how to make. The classes occur twice a day and last from 2 to 2 ½ hours.
Boathouse Cooking Classes
The Boathouse is one of the top restaurants on Phuket and they also offer cookery classes as well. Instruction is provided on Saturdays and Sundays between 10:00 and 14:00. These classes are led by top Thai chef Rattana. As well as learning how to make Thai foods those who attend will also be rewarded with a Boathouse apron and a recipe book.