Medical Treatment in Phuket
Visitors to Phuket do sometimes become sick or injured. Luckily there are some good hospitals on the island that can offer an international standard of care. In fact these hospitals are so well thought of that people are travelling from other countries just to receive treatment. The cost of hospital care is reasonably priced when compared to western countries, but it is still worth having medical insurance. One hospital where visitors to the island may seek assistance would be Mission Hospital in Phuket Town.
History of Mission Hospital Phuket
The Mission Hospital in Phuket first opened in 1940. The founding principle for the hospital was to provide Christian healthcare services on a not for profit basis. The mission of those employed at the hospital is to provide high quality care for local people and visitors to the island. The overall goal of treatments at Mission Hospital is to make patients whole.
Seventh Day Adventist Healthcare Network
The Mission Hospital Phuket is part of the Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Healthcare Network that includes facilities in many parts of the world. The SDA is a Christian religious movement that arouse in the US during the 1840s. It is the goal of this group to promote the gospel around the globe while promoting health through hospitals and clinics. The SDA is the largest not-for-profit health network in the US – it is believed to help over 4 million patients each year. There is another SDA hospital in Bangkok called Bangkok Adventist Hospital (aka Mission Hospital).
Services at Mission Hospital Phuket
The services offered at Mission Hospital Phuket include:
- Pediatric surgery and medicine
- Obstetrics and gynecological services
- General surgery
- Internal medicine
- Ear, nose, and throat (ENT)
- Health checkup programs
- Physical therapy
- Eye clinic
- Laboratory services
- Dental services
The types of surgery performed at Mission Hospital Include:
- Pediatric surgery
- General surgery
- Cholecystectomy – gall stone removal
- Abscess incision and drainage
- Anal Surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Hemorrhoidectomy – removal of hemorrhoids
- Appendectomy – removal of appendix
- Fistulectomy – repairing fistulas
- Plastic surgery
- Urological surgery
- Hernia repair
Other Services provided by Mission Hospital include:
- Ambulance services
- Mobile checkups – this means a mobile team who goes out into the community to provide healthcare needs.
- Pastoral care
- Nutritional advice
- Health promotion and educational initiatives
- Medical counseling
- Pre employment checkups
- Employment health checkups and yearly checkups
- Health checks for insurance companies
The Mission Hospital also offers a pregnancy packagefor expecting mothers.
Accommodation at Mission Hospital
Those who need to stay as an inpatient at Mission Hospital will have a number of options including:
- A private room costs 1,400 THB per day. This includes a television, fridge, telephone, sofa, and all meals.
- A VIP room costs 2,100 THB per day. This is more luxurious than the private sweet and will have more furnishings.
- Staying in a 2 bedded room costs 950 THB. There will be a shared refrigerator and television.
- The 4 bedded ward costs 600 THB, and there are far fewer amenities.
The cost of the room does not include medications, doctor’s fees, and the cost of any tests and treatments.