Opening of New Bus Station in Phuket
Phuket Bus Terminal 2 opened in April 2012. This means that from now on the majority of buses traveling to other provinces will leave from this bus station. The old bus station on Phang Nga Road will remain open but will mostly deal with interprovincial buses and some destinations in Phang Nga. Those buses that are arriving in Phuket between 22:00 and 05:00 will arrive at the old bus terminal.
[flickr]3029779275[/flickr] The two bus stations are linked by a pink bus which will leave every fifteen minutes between 06:00 and 22:00. The bus fare will be 10 THB.
Location of Phuket Bus Stations
The Old Phuket Bus Station is located on Phang Nga Road on the eastern side of Phuket Town. The new bus terminal is on Thepkrasattri Road in Rassada – near to the Supercheap Shopping Centre.
Popular Destinations from Phuket Bus Station
There is no train station in Phuket so the most popular way to travel to other parts of Thailand is by bus. The majority of buses to other provinces now leave from terminal 2. Some of the most popular routes include:
Phuket to Bangkok
There are regular buses from Phuket to Bangkok Southern Bus Station and Mo Chit Bus Station. The journey time is 12 to 15 hours. There are four types of bus available for this route:
- The non air conditioned bus is the cheapest option and currently costs (as of mid-2012) 270 THB. This is not only the most uncomfortable bus but it also takes the longest to get to Bangkok – not recommended unless people are determined to save money.
- The second class air conditioned bus leaves approximately every two hours throughout the day, and it costs 500 THB. It usually makes the journey in thirteen hours.
- The first class air conditioned bus leaves at 17:30 in the evening and takes 12 hours to get to Bangkok. The fare here is 650 THB.
- There is also a VIP bus that costs 950 THB and takes 12 hours.
Phuket to Krabi
Phuket to Krabi is one of the most popular routes for tourists, and there are regular buses throughout the day. There are three buses to choose from:
- There is an air conditioned bus that leaves Phuket terminal 2 every thirty minutes between 07:00 and 18:30. The journey time is approximately three hours and the fare is 117 THB.
- The second class air conditioned bus costs 91 THB and these leave at 10:50, 12:50, and 14:30.
- The cheapest option is the non air conditioned bus which charges 65 THB. This bus takes about 4 hours to reach Krabi.
Phuket to Hat Yai
There are regular buses going from Phuket to Hat Yai. The journey time is 7 to 8 hours.
- The first class VIP bus currently (as of mid 2012) leaves three times a day at 10:45, 13:45, and 18:45 from terminal 2. The journey time is 7 hours and the fare is 535 THB.
- The first class air conditioned bus leaves every hour between 07:30 and 12:30 and 19:30 to 21:30. The fare for this route is 344 THB.
- The Second class air conditioned bus takes 8 hours to reach Hat Yai and the fare is 269 THB. The first bus leaves Phuket at 06:40 and they are then about every hour until noon – the last of these buses leaves for Hat Yai at 20:30.
- There is also a Hat Yai minibus that makes the journey in 6 hours and charges 350 THB. These currently leave at 08:00, 11:00, 12:00, and 17:30.
Phuket to Surat Thani
There are 5 air conditioned buses going to Surat Thani from Phuket Terminal 2 – these leave at 08:00, 10:00, 12:00, 14:00, and 16:00. The journey time is approximately four hours and the fare is 375 THB.
Phuket to Koh Samui
It is possible to go to Koh Samui using a bus and ferry – the cost of this is 450 THB (this includes the ferry fare). There are currently two buses per day (mid 2012) leaving at 08:00 and 09:00. It takes approximately 7 hours to reach Koh Samui.
Phuket to Hua Hin
The Yellow Bus provides a VIP service from Phuket bus terminal 2 to Hua Hin. The journey takes nine hours and leaves at 07:00. These buses are luxurious with massage seats and personal entertainment centers similar to what can be found on long haul airplanes. The trip to Hua Hin by Yellow Bus costs 617 THB one way or 1,050 THB return. Tickets can be purchased directly from the counter in terminal 2,
Other Destinations from Phuket Bus Stations
The other destinations that are served from Phuket Bus Station include:
- There are regular buses to Phang Nga province from the old bus station.
- buses to Takua Pa will also leave from the old bus station.
All the following buses leave from terminal 2:
- Nakhon Sri Thammarat
- Chiang Mai
- Chiang Rai
- Khon Kaen
- Nong Khai
Facilities at Phuket Bus Station
The new Phuket Bus station offers good facilities including a restaurant, souvenir shop, minimart, and coffee shop. There are some parking facilities available for those who are arriving in cars, and there are plans to create further parking spaces which will be CCTV monitored.