Family Day Out in Phuket
Phuket Butterfly Garden and Insect World is a good option for people who are looking for a family day out on the island. It is a nice way to keep kids entertained for a couple of hours and most adults are likely to find that they enjoy the visit as well. As well as butterflies there are also plenty of other insects on display including spiders, scorpions, and other creepy crawlies.
What to Expect
Visitors to Phuket Butterfly Garden and Insect World can expect:
- Approximately 6000 butterflies from 40 different species
- Largest butterfly garden in Thailand
- Outdoor tropical garden
- Trees and plants from all over Thailand
- Silk museum
- Pond where children can feed the fish
- Insect museum – the first of its kind in Thailand
- Butterfly research centre
- Gift shop
- Special events – for example when some butterflies are being released back to the wild
- Birds that are native to Thailand – it is possible to walk through a bird enclosure
- Shell-less turtles
Most people who visit the museum will find that there is enough to keep them entertained for 1-2 hours. There is plenty of useful information provided in English about the different insects. Children are likely to find it an educational as well as fun visit.
Location of Phuket Butterfly Garden
The garden can be found in Phuket Town off Yaowarat Road on Soi Paneung. It is located near the Tesco Lotus Superstore. The telephone number is 076 210861.
Admission to Phuket Butterfly Garden
The cost of admission for the garden is:
- Anyone over the age of 10 years old needs to pay 300 THB
- Children aged between 4 and 10 pay 150 THB
- If children are under the age of 4 they can enter for free
- There is a cheaper admission price for Thai nationals
- It is possible to arrange a pick-up and return service from any hotel on the island for an extra fee.
- There are also special promotions where families receive free refreshments if they use the coupon available on the website.
It is possible to book in advance or just pay on the door. The garden opens at 9am and closes at 5pm. It can get busy here on weekends and public holidays, but usually it is free of excessive crowds.
Nearby Attractions to Phuket Butterfly Garden
A trip to Phuket Butterfly Garden only takes a couple of hours at most so it is a good idea to combine it with a visit some other nearby attractions such as:
- Visit Old Phuket Town and step into the past. The Sino-Portuguese architecture here makes it unique in all of Thailand, and it is an interesting place to just walk around.
- Phuket Orchid Farm is a good choice if people wish to enjoy a bit more of nature. There are 1,500 different types of orchid here and plenty more to see as well.
- Phuket Fishing Park is located to the north of Phuket Town. This is not only a good place to do some freshwater fishing, but there is also a nice restaurant that specializes in both Thai and western food.
- Phra Puttamingmongkol (Big Buddha Phuket) is just a short distance from Phuket Butterfly Garden. Visitors not only get to see a stunning statue of the Buddha but there is also a nice view of the island from up here.
- Many people like to mix a morning on the beach with an afternoon trip to the garden – or vice versa.