Phuket at Any Time of the Year
It is arguably always a good time to visit Phuket. Of course if people are only interested in sunbathing or water sports there are certain times of the year that will be better than others. If a sun worshiper arrives during the rainy season they should still get plenty of days on the beach, but there is also likely to be days when that won’t be possible. Those people who enjoy lots of different experiences are most likely to enjoy Phuket during the rainy season. In fact for some people this is their favorite time of the year to visit the island.
Weather in Phuket during the Rainy Season
The rainy season in Phuket begins in June and continues until October. The heaviest rain tends to occur in September, and October. Even during the worst of the rainy season there can still be sunny days and during June, July, and August it usually only rains for a couple of hours a day (if at all) and otherwise there is usually plenty of sun. Near the end of the rainy season is usually when the risk of flooding is at its highest because the ground is already soaked. During the rainy season the seas can be quite rough and there is generally poor visibility underwater – not good for scuba divers.
Good Reasons to Visit Phuket during the Rainy Season
There are some good reasons for why people might want to visit Phuket during the rainy season:
- This is the low season so the price of accommodation can drop significantly. There are also usually other great bargains to be found at this time of year.
- Phuket is much quieter during the rainy season, and some visitors prefer it that way. During the high season the crowds can take some of the enjoyment out of the holiday.
- There is a more relaxed atmosphere on the island at this time of year.
- Those local people who work in the tourist industry will not be so overworked at this time of year. This means that they have more time to interact with foreign visitors.
- The roads are less busy around the island.
- It can be easier for people who live in other parts of the world to schedule a holiday at this time of year.
- The weather will still be hot and there should be plenty of sunny days.
Things to Do on Rainy Days in Phuket
Visitors to Phuket will usually spend a great deal of their time lying on the beach. This is not such fun on those days in Phuket when the rain doesn’t stop. Just because the heavens open up does not mean that there is nothing for tourists to do. In fact there are still plenty of options including:
- There are an increasing number of visitors who decide to learn Muay Thai during their trip to Phuket. There are plenty of camps that welcome the complete beginner of almost any age, and this is something that people can do no matter what the weather.
- One of the most memorable aspects of a trip to Thailand is the local food. There are many cookery schools where visitors can learn how to make these tasty dishes – thus ensuring that they take a bit of Phuket home with them.
- The Phuket Fantasea Show is described as the ultimate cultural theme park. It provides visitors with a living tapestry of Thai history – there are also restaurants and shopping opportunities.
- The shopping options in Phuket are varied and there is sure to be something to please everyone. There are a number of large department stores and shopping malls, including Central Festival, which are ideal for rainy days.
- The island is home to some world class cinemas which show both local and international movies.
- If people wish to be pampered they might like to spend the day at one of the many spas in Phuket.
- Thailand is home to some of the top meditation masters in the world. It is possible for visitors to attend a meditation course during their stay, and this is something that is sure to benefit their life when they go home.
- There are some beautiful temples on the island and these are well worth a visit.
- If people are not put off by all the water outside they might want to visit Phuket Aquarium.
Staying Safe during the Rainy Season
There are a number of possible dangers for tourists during the rainy season including:
- People need to be extra cautious when riding motorbikes when it is raining. The downpours in Thailand can be extreme and it is best not to take the motorbike out in such conditions.
- Flooding can occur quickly when it is raining heavily. It is best to stay indoors when the weather is bad and avoid travelling if at all possible.
- The seas can be rough at this time of year so it is best to avoid boat trips.
- Even when it is cloudy it is still possible to be burnt by the sun. People need to be careful to always use sufficient protection against ultraviolet rays.
- At this time of year it is recommended that people keep an eye on weather forecasts so they are not caught out by a downpour.