Best Asian Regatta is in Phuket
In recent years Phuket has developed a reputation for hosting international sporting events – it is the number one location in Thailand for marine and beach activities. One of the most exciting of these has to be Phuket Raceweek. In 2011 this event won the Best Asian Regatta of the Year at the Asian Boating Awards. This was only the second of Thailand’s six regattas to win such a well regarded award. Phuket Raceweek is due to be broadcast around the globe with a potential television audience of 140 million viewers.
History and Future of Phuket Raceweek
The first Phuket Raceweek took place in 2004. It involved 19 boats and took place over 5 days. The event has grown steadily over the past 8 years and the 2011 event saw 38 boats taking part – in 2008 there were 44 boats. There has been some uncertainty surrounding the future of this event because of the need to find a new home. Traditionally the raceweek has been hosted by Evason Phuket & Six Senses Spa, but a change in ownership is means that this venue will no longer be available. Organizers of the event have given assurances that the 2012 raceweek will go ahead as planned, and that a new home will be found for the event. The organizers recently announced that a new sponsor for the 2012 event has been found – Cape Prawna Hotel.
Classes in the Phuket Raceweek
The classes in the 2012 raceweek include:
- Charter yachts
- Cruising yachts
- Multihull class
- Firefly class
- Classic class
What Participants Can Expect at Phuket Raceweek 2012
The exact program for the 2012 Phuket Raceweek has yet to be finalized, but if previous events are anything to go by then participants can expect a great deal of fun during the competition. This year’s event is sponsored by Cape Panwa Hotel so most of the land events will take place there. The provisional program for the event is:
- Registration for the regatta will take place between 10am and 4pm on July 18th. There will be a skipper’s briefing in the evening followed by a Caribbean buffet.
- The real action begins on 19th July when participants will be racing off the East Coast of Phuket – starting at 10am. In the evening there will be a prize giving ceremony as well as free flow drinks and a buffet dinner.
- On 20th of July there will be more racing in the morning, but participants will have a free evening. Those who attend the Regatta Bar will be offered special discounts on drinks.
- On the 21st of July there will be racing in the morning followed by a free flowing drinks party and a buffet. There will also be a prize giving ceremony which will include winners from the 20th as well.
- The final day of the event takes place on Sunday 22nd July. Just like other days there will be racing in the morning and entrainment in the evening – following the prize giving there will be an end of raceweek party with a DJ that is likely to continue until late.
Registration for Phuket Raceweek 2012
This year it is possible for people to register for the event online from April 30th. Each member of the crew will need a ticket or they will not be able to enter the regatta access areas at Evason. The costs of entering the event are:
- Those people who pay before June 17th will be entitled to an early bird discount. This is 9,000 THB for the boat and 3,850 THB for each member of the crew – early birds also receive a free Gybe cap and regatta t-shirt.
- Those people who pay after June 17th will need to submit the standard rates which are 12,000 THB for the boat and 4,200 THB for each crew member.
Crew tickets give the holder access to all the events associated with the race. This means free buffet dinners and free-flow drinks for the duration of these parties.
Chartering a Boat for Phuket Raceweek 2012
Those who are interested will be able to charter a boat for the 2012 Phuket raceweek. The organizers of the event advertise a number of options for this. There are even join in charters where people can pay 100 Euros per day (about 4,000 THB) to get involved in the action. For 30,000 THB it is not only possible to join in but also learn how to race.