Youth Visitors Arrive in Phuket
Visitors to Phuket during late May and early June may notice a sudden explosion in the number of Thai young people around the island. This is due to the Phuket Youth Games which will attract thousands of youngsters competing in the event – and also their supporters. This competition is great fun and tourists may want to observe some of the action.
Thailand National Youth Games
The Thailand National Youth Games (กีฬาเยาวชนแห่งชาติ /gila yao chon heang chaat is an annual event in Thailand. The first games took place in Nakhon Ratchasima (Khorat) in 1985 and each year it moves to a new venue. Last year the event was hosted Uttaradit, and the 28th games will be coming to Phuket between the 28th of May and the 5th of June. This is not the first time that the Thailand National Youth Games have taken place in Phuket – the last occasion was 1990. The countdown to the event officially began with a ceremony on the 4th of May that was hosted in Surakul Stadium.
Importance of the Thailand National Youth Games
The Thailand National Youth Games is a prestigious event in the national sporting calendar. It is where the Thai sports celebrities of the future first make a name for themselves – it is viewed as a launching pad for future Olympic champions. There is a great deal of interest in the games around the country – especially from those who have friends, family members, or neighbors in the event. It is a real achievement to qualify for this competition and for many of the entrants it will be one of the highlights of their life. It is hard not to get caught up in the excitement and youthful exuberance associated with this event. Over 10,000 competitors will be taking part in the Phuket Youth Games.
Events in the Phuket Youth Games
There are an impressive number of different competitions taking place within this event – over 40 different activities. The schedule for the Phuket Youth Games includes:
- Road cycling
- BMX cycling
- Soft tennis
- Model airplanes
- Relay races
- Track cycling
- Tae Kwon Do
- Table tennis
- Bowling *Silat
- Weight lifting
- Ballroom dancing
- Volleyball (as well as beach volleyball)
- Wu Shu (Kung Fu)
- Muay Thai
- Wood ball – this is a popular Asian beach sport.
Venues of Events
The Phuket Games will be taking place at a number of venues on the island including:
- Surakul Stadium has undergone extensive renovations in order to be ready for this event – it is believed that over 70 million Baht was invested in this development. The majority of events will be hosted here and this will also be the location for the opening and closing ceremonies.
- The sailing events will be held at Ao Yon and will be hosted by the Phuket Youth Sailing Club.
- The golfing event will being on the 26th of May at Loch Palm golf course in Kathu District. This is one of the most well known golf course on the island.
- Board and card games will be played at Phuket Rajabhat University. Some of the martial arts events will also be hosted here.
- Basketball will be played at Satree School on Tamrong Road.
- Swimming events will take place at Saphan Hin.
Opening Ceremony for the 28th Thailand National Youth Games
The opening ceremony for the Phuket Youth Games will take place at Surakul Stadium on the May the 26th at 5pm. Over 10 million baht has been spent on the ceremony so it should be quite impressive. Thai celebrities will be there to make the evening more memorable for those involved. It will be possible to catch the highlights on Thai TV. The closing ceremony will also take place at Sarakul Stadium – that will be at 5pm on the 5th of June.